Federal Budget Gives Fresh Boost to Foreign Workers Program

The government of Canada has made the announcement that in the next five years it will give more than $270 million beginning from 2017 – 18. After this period it will give $49.8 million with the objective to provide continuous support to the International Mobility Program (IMP) and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

These two programs will enable the absorption of foreign worker in Canada. The TFWP is launched with the objective to fulfill the shortage of specific labor for which permanent residents and citizens of Canada are not found eligible.

The objective of IMP is to promote the broader economic and cultural interests of Canada. Different categories under the IMP are North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), open work permits and Intra-Company Transfers. It includes permits that are given to spouses / common-law partners of workers or the International Experience Canada (IEC) or international students.

The announcement for funding forms part of the 2017 government budget and was made by Bill Morneau, the Finance Minister on March 22.

The Parliamentary Committee of Canada had put forward some recommendations to make some changes in the TFWP, last September. The areas where changes have been proposed by the Parliamentary Committee include monitoring, transition plans, processing methods, and methods used by workers to obtain their permanent residency for Canada.

Some of the suggestions made have already been implemented in December such as “four-in four-out” or “cumulative duration” rule. It is has been announced by the government that more changes will be announced at the time of budget.

All these steps taken by the government of Canada indicate that new steps will be taken to make the immigration program more robust. In the beginning of this year, employment minister Patty Hajdu made the announcement that the budget will come out shortly and much of their work depends on the money allocated.

Another significant change that was made back in December was to extend the cap on the number of temporary foreign workers working on low wage and are being employed in seasonal industries.

If you want to study in Canada and are confused on how to do so than you can take the assistance of WWICS. You can send your questions and queries to WWICS complaints cell.

You can read the feedback of numerous such people who were able to obtain education from Canada through WWICS assistance in the WWICS reviews section.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *